"Rick and Morty Season 9" Surprisingly Pretty Solid
Well there it is. I feel old just writing this review since I've basically been watching Rick and Morty since I was child, but another season has come and passed, and I would say this season has been fairly solid. I've never really had too many complaints about the show, but perhaps I've become so accustomed to it, and watched it really soar from where it was, the heights it reached, and what it's become. Even still, I thought this season definitely had some bright spots. I mean I'm a pretty big Dan Harmon guy so I'm usually quite fairly confident that this show can give me at least a couple memorable episodes per season. Let's talk about it.
By far the biggest change this season would probably be the return of Rick's Alcoholism. After letting the last vestiges of his own memory of his wife go, Rick's pretty much slid headfirst back into alcoholism. Honestly, I'm surprised the show didn't address it more. Like it's very much the instigating crux of many episodes, like the one in the thumbnail, Erickerhead to mixed results I'd say. I very much appreciated them moving past the constant burping and drunkenness of Rick after the first couple seasons of the show, and I do kind of hope it doesn't return as like a permanent bit again.
I get the point of it I do, all of Rick's rage and anger has finally been replaced with apathy, he's gotten revenge but now for the betterment of everyone he can't even remember his own wife. I mean the last episode of the season Field of Dreams suggests that perhaps the alcoholism is in fact integral to who he is, and he can't escape it. Even still, I would prefer that they find some sort of conclusion for it in the next season or so. I mean it seemed intentional, so I hope they have something in store for it.
This season was good though, and maybe the alcohol was part of it. As usual it's only ten seasons but I would say I only disliked about 2.5 episodes, with one of them being me kind of meh on the subplot. I will say something I noticed was that this season felt much more centered around the two titular characters rather than the entire Smith family. I'm not saying I hated Space Beth or anything, but in past seasons it did feel pretty Beth-heavy, and I don't know if they really know what to do much about Summer. I did really love the Jerry episode from last season though.
And it produces some great results, whether it's Rickuiem Mort a Dream, MortGully: The Last Rickforest, Field of Dreams, Ricks Days, Seven Nights, Jer Bed, or A Ricker Runs Through It, I think for the most part the showrunners have done a very good job on once again recentering the show on the two characters it's named after. It's not really "classic" Rick and Morty adventures like those of the early seasons where they go to space, but they've done plenty of that it's been nine seasons so I think it's for the better that way anyways.
Final Season: 75/100
I think I've watched too much of this show to really ever give it that low of a rating. Like the episodes are 20 minutes long and I watch them weekly. Unless it really goes poorly I'll probably still like it. I do wonder if they're ever going to go anywhere with cynical Morty or this is just status quo. They had the episode where his ability to feel emotions was completely removed, they had the finale where he sort of screws everything up and tells everyone he loves them, but then there's also the first episode with Evil Morty which doesn't really relate to anything. So I suppose we'll see. I guess if this show goes twenty seasons I can no longer talk about how I don't understand people who still somehow watch The Simpsons or Family Guy.

Comments
Post a Comment