"Wonder Woman: The Hiketeia" A Strong Wonder Woman One-Shot

 


    Well there it is I've done three Wonder Woman comics in a row. A common theme between the three is that once again I think this comic is just too short. However, unlike the other two I think there's some real proverbial meat on the bone to chew on that keeps you intrigued. Let's talk about it.

    So, basically this comic is about 100ish pages, and is based around the premise of the Hiketeia, which is the Greek rule of hospitality, which Diana extends to a young girl after she's being chased by Batman for murdering the people who destroyed her sisters life. The biggest criticism of this comic I've managed to see online is people think Batman acts out of character, but I'd argue for the purposes of a relatively small one-off comic I think tha's fine.

    He's mainly just there to represent the lack of nuance. After all the book is all about social laws and upholding them, you even see the comic mention littering being worse than murder. In that sense, Batman is representing the real law, even though she may have been right in the eyes of most people and that the world is a better place with her killings, it wasn't her place to decide. 

    What I think is interesting about this comic is that Wonder Woman never even really takes a true stance in this comic. It's not like she's the one who is forced to break this ancient tradition, or make a decision about it. In fact, she simply stands by this law at every turn, refusing to even listen to her until Batman finally reveals what she ended up doing. I mean I'm sure Wonder Woman would have understood her story, even after learning about it she still decides to protect the girl. I'm not even trying to say one side's better than the other. But for a relatively short comic I do enjoy the moral dilemma it showcases.

Final Score: 75/100

    Out of the three WW stories I've read this is by far the best one so far. I'm not saying it's not a moral dilemma that is new to me or anything, but I still think it fits in with Wonder Woman as a character, especially since it invokes ancient Greek tradition. If you had to read only one of the comics I've talked about involving WW, I would definitely recommend this one. It may not have the strongest art style, but it has by far the strongest story.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

"Whiplash" I Did Not Understand This Film as a Child

"Pokemon Legends: ZA" A Bit of an Identity Crisis for the Pokemon Legends Series

"McKinley Dixon - Magic, Alive!" A Sonic Masterpiece