"Wonder Woman: Dead Earth" Some Interesting Concepts, Yet Too Short to Cash In on Them
Yeah I'm going through random Wonder Woman stories? So what? It's pretty easy to argue that this comic is super edgy. It's post-apocalyptic, the art style is decently grimey, and Wonder Woman literally uses Superman's spine as a new whip. And to that I say? Honestly, I think Wonder Woman's allowed to have an edgy comic. I mean like I still enjoyed Wolverine: Old Man Logan, and I really think Mark Millar is complete edge lord, so I think Wonder Woman is allowed to have one edgy story. Let's talk about it.
Like the last Wonder Woman story I reviewed, this one is also quite short so I won't have too much to say about it. Honestly though, my only complaint is about that random human character that Wonder Woman interacts with. I understand their purpose, someone needs to really hold Wonder Woman accountable/remind her of her own atrocities, btu at the same time she was kind of annoying. Would I have preferred if it was just a Cheetah and Wonder Woman comic? Honestly, maybe.
That's not to say the story is bad. I mean of course it's an else worlds, so it takes heavy liberty with everything, including the fact that Wonder Woman is the most powerful superhero of all time and it's never quite explained how Batman depowers her, while also still believing in her? It has some cool visuals though. I do admit I think there's a decent amount of potential for a post-apocalyptic superhero world. All of the bodies and the scribblings on the fortress of solitude begging for Superman to come back was quite entertaining.
I just wish it was more fleshed out. Maybe one or two more heroes? I liked that it wasn't just zombies, but I didn't quite care for any of the new designs, and the Superman whip is novel at best. It's just also too short to really do much. Like there's this evil dictator of a city that WW quickly takes over, and he pretty much converts to being good very fast.
Final Score: 65/100
Once again as a relatively large DC fan this comic was fine enough to read. I don't think it particularly does a great job of making me feel like it's an essential reading of Wonder Woman though. I honestly think JLA: A League of One does a better job in that regard. In this scenario it doesn't feel like Wonder Woman being what she really should be, especially because she ends up being what causes everything.

Comments
Post a Comment