"The Blair Witch Project" Conceptually Interesting

 

    My review for this film feels like the film itself. I feel like I have a lot to say, but in reality I'm not quite too sure. In the same way the film can feel longer than it really is at times, yet you finish and realize only about 80 minutes have passed in total. For this review I don't even need to start it off with any real anecdote. The Blair Witch Project is quite an iconic film in pop culture, and while I do not lean any particular way when it comes to horror or found footage, I always knew this films name. Yet as technically impressive as this film was, I can't help but feel like my enjoyment of it was always capped by the genre itself. Let's talk about it. 

    I'm not saying that I went into this film believing it had a ceiling of enjoyment for me, but part of the appeal to this film is the fact that it's so limited on purpose. This film very much feels real, it does feel like if you let three college students go shoot an amateur documentary that went wrong. Never once when I was watching it with my sister did I feel the acting was in question. Even though this supposed "witch" was never even caught on film the actors are what held this "mockumentary" together, building the tension through the shaky, blurry footage and their slow descent into madness.

    Yet that's it. That's kind of my issue with this film. Technically impressive, without a doubt, especially based on the budget provided. It was an experience I enjoyed and quite a novel one at that. My attention towards this film never wavered once. Even still, I can't quite say much more beyond that. It captivated and intrigued me for sure, but that was about it. I'm not saying I wanted or needed this film to entertain me, but I couldn't also say I was particularly scared, tense, or on the edge of my seat when watching this film. 

    That's not to say I'm docking points off of this film just for replayability, even though I think on a second watch much of the novelty would wear off on me. I feel like you should only ever add points for when a film is rewatchable and never take off points for it being less interesting on rewatch. I just didn't quite feel it as much as I was hoping to. I'm not saying my heart wasn't in it, I was very interested to see how this film ends, yet it could have really only ended the way it did. Semi-abruptly, after losing one of their members and after the groups mental fortitude has been ripped to shreds. 

    Would some big special effects or CGI witch monster possibly been more exciting? Perhaps, but that would have ruined my immersion So I suppose this is just a very long-winded way of saying I would definitely recommend watching this film once just to experience it, because in that regard I think most people can appreciate it, though I wouldn't expect much more than that. I would not say it's a film that blew me away.

Final Score: 60/100

    Perhaps time has finally simply eroded all of the potential mystique this film had. The world simply become too technologically advanced for me to fully appreciate or enjoy. I know it's different mediums but frankly, I think I enjoyed House of Leaves a decent bit more. That book did not quite scare me, but I think the comparisons between the two are apt. The book is significantly more methodical in their findings, but I think part of that is just that The Blair Witch Project is supposed to feel amateurish, and succeeds greatly in that. Either way, not quite the horror/Halloween vibe I was hoping for this October, but an interesting enough film to spend my Saturday night on.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

"Whiplash" I Did Not Understand This Film as a Child

"Pokemon Legends: ZA" A Bit of an Identity Crisis for the Pokemon Legends Series

"McKinley Dixon - Magic, Alive!" A Sonic Masterpiece