"JLA: A League of One" A Pretty, but Otherwise Unspectacular One-Shot
This review will be relatively short. I mean it's only a one-shot that's around a hundred pages or so anyways. Even still, I thought I might enjoy highlighting/talking about this comic briefly just to catalogue it since I really don't read many Wonder Woman comics in the first place. Let's talk about it. In concept this comic is pretty simple. It involves Wonder Woman taking down the rest of the league, Tower of Babel style, because of some prophecy.
I mean this in the nicest way but I think the best aspect of this comic is the art style. it's quite pretty and it's kind of nice seeing all of the textures and shadows within it. It's just a very simplistic comic which is why I'm kind of struggling to write a very comprehensive review. And I think the simplicity is intentional? It is a very mystical/magical story, relying heavily on Wonder Woman's origin as a woman whose lore is based on myth.
Final Score: 60/100
On one hand I want to cut it some slack, this is really a story you could finish in twenty minutes, but on one hand I don't think it really does much. I quite enjoyed the part where Wonder Woman is in solitude as shown above, testing her morality by using the lasso just to keep herself in check. I did quite enjoy this notion that she must keep herself perfectly steeled as this immortal moral compass who came out of Paradise to make the world a better place. She kind of defeated the Justice League really easily though I kind of wish there was just a bit more meat on the bone.
Comments
Post a Comment