"The Many Deaths of Laila Starr" Pretty, but Underwhelming


     Yeah I probably could have and should have written a review for Supergirl: Woman of Tomorrow, but I guess I just had less to say about it. Even still, I think I'll start writing reviews for even the smaller comics that I come across. The premise for this one was simple. I saw a twitter post with someone posting a bunch of independent comics. I can't quite remember what for, I think it was because another poster was complaining about serialization being too big of a hurdle to cross when it came to the big two (DC and Marvel). And so I was like sure, let me give it a try. After all, Now that I've slowly eased myself back into comics (and oddly eased myself out of manga?) I find myself trying to expand my horizons as I try to make myself read more. So, I picked this comic up and read it to myself at night, let's talk about it.

    I think my biggest issue with this graphic novel is that it's almost too short? I'm not saying you need to exhaust every single bullet in your creative arsenal, but it's like being at a buffet with a 30 minute timer. Even if you rush through everything (which you won't because this book is beautiful visually), you'll just end up saying wow I just wish there was more. The title is literally The Many Deaths of Laila Starr and so you'll think it's about like her learning to finally stop taking life for granted, which she never had to do as the goddess of death. Instead she dies maybe like two or three times? And there's a pretty big time jump in-between each? 

    It's not that I don't agree with the time skips but the book is barely 100 pages long so every time it happens you're just kind of like "ah, damn. I wanted a little more." Even still, thematically and premise-wise this book is great. Basically, the goddess of death is fired, and takes over the body of a nobody, someone no one will remember named Laila Starr, and she goes around looking for a man named Darius, who supposedly will make her obsolete once he invents immortality. I don't even disagree with the ending or how the authors got there, but it all just happens so quickly.

    I do think when it comes to the theme of cherishing the life you have, it works. It turns out death should be appreciating her mortal life, even though Darius doesn't end up using this supposedly immortality which would make her obsolete, he still beat her. He faced her multiple times and she couldn't kill him as a mortal, usually because of her own hesitation. He ends up giving her immortality and she doesn't end up using it. The story involving Darius and his family does work in the context of the story. I just wanted a little bit more meat in my story though.

Final Score: 60/100

    Some 60's are given in shame and some 60's are given in the "you tried" sort of context. I would safely put this graphic novel in the latter category. It's pretty, and it falls squarely into the "there's a good chance you'll get more out of this than I will." As someone who doesn't know much about Indian mythology or really reads/see's India that much it was nice for it to be in comic form. Even still, it's hard to say that this game has does that much differently other than aesthetically. Like yes, comic books are meant to be looked at, but at the same time I still think I put a bit more weight into story. 

    

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

"Creature Commando's" Surprisingly Good for Seven Episodes

"McKinley Dixon - Magic, Alive!" A Sonic Masterpiece

"Whiplash" I Did Not Understand This Film as a Child