"Peacemaker Season 2" Pretty Underwhelming


    I'm going to be honest, going into this, I didn't think Peacemaker needed a season two. It was a fun one-off, but we're making multiple seasons of this show? Honestly? I still kind of feel the same way about this season. Like it's very clearly just to let James Gunn start setting stuff up for the rest of the DCU, but there's still some interesting meat on the bone. Even still though, you can't help but feel that the titular character, Peacemaker is the weakest part of the season anyways. Let's talk about it.

    It's been ages since I last watched the first season of Peacmaker so I was a little rusty on the details but this season just doesn't do enough if that makes any sense. This season, the premise is Chris accidentally finds a portal to an alternate dimension where everything in his life seems nicer but the Nazi's won and took over. The issue? Well first of all it really takes them two whole episodes to even get Chris into this alternate dimension doing anything serious, and then the last episode involves absolutely none of the shenanigans that would come with the alternate reality stuff, with the final episode serving as sort of an epilogue to set everything up at a later date (Checkmate, Salvation, etc.)

    Part of the issue too is that you feel very little sympathy for Peacemaker himself, and honestly I could care less both about him and his relationship with Harcourt. I'm not saying it's forced I just don't care about it. I'm hesitant to say all they did was retread the same storylines with him, but a part of me kind of feels like they did. They continued with the dead brother storyline, and the bad father who actually wasn't that bad other than letting the Nazi thing slide. I know the show tells you that Chris is very stupid, but at the same time I don't think they introduce much new other than the novelty of them still living in a universe that's still alive.

    Even with Harcourt I was a bit eh on. Frankly, the characters I wanted to see more were like Vigilante and Adebayo. That's sort of the issue here. They don't do much with the main character, and so I ended up mostly watching this season to see what was going to happen in the end and how it was going to tie into other stuff.Like it's fine television, but it mostly just felt like buildup for the final episode. How many of these characters do I feel like really got a new lease on life this season? None of them.

Final Score: 55/100

    You know I was starting to zoom past the show for a little bit as I started binging episodes but the closer I got to the end the more lukewarm I felt about the whole thing. I'm not saying it felt like checking off some boxes but I still firmly believe that this show shouldn't make it past like a season three. Just make Peacemaker some cameo dude who shows up in other projects like Guy Gardner or something. Honestly? Gunn go focus on other projects, this is not worth your time, even if you do enjoy that it lets you throw in your favourite bands into shows. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

"Whiplash" I Did Not Understand This Film as a Child

"McKinley Dixon - Magic, Alive!" A Sonic Masterpiece

"Creature Commando's" Surprisingly Good for Seven Episodes