"DC: The New Frontier" A Novel Concept that Simply Doesn't do Enough
I can't say I particularly enjoyed this comic. Yes I am a pretty big DC fan and so I read through it all. Yes, I went into this comic largely blind and supposedly because James Gunn wanted to use it as a strong influence on the DCU, a universe I am highly anticipating, especially as Lanterns is just so good. Even still, I left feeling pretty underwhelmed. Maybe I'm just not that much of a fan of the silver age of comics, maybe I'm simply too young, or maybe it just was kind of whatever. Let's talk about it.
The nicest thing I can say about this comic is that it's fine at best. Don't get me wrong, the premise is novel, it sounds good. Wikipedia described it as a story that "bridges the gap between the end of the Golden Age and the beginning of the Silver Age in the DC Universe." This all sounds great on paper, but in practice you're just kind of left with a very strong feeling of "meh." It's an interesting alternative history that's for sure, but I don't think they really do enough with it to truly impress me in any single regard. Basically, the story is about ushering in a new generation of heroes after the government decides to outlaw them after WW2 (by the way the stuff involving Hitler and the Spear of Destiny sounds kind of convoluted and stupid I'm glad it's not really brought up much anymore). Eventually though, an enemy emerges that forces everyone to once again suit up and come out of hiding.
The issue? It kind of doesn't do anything that you haven't seen before. This idea of superhero's being outlawed? The Dark Knight Returns, though I do recognize that they focus much more on that aspect and it's like significantly darker than anything this comic would even dare touch. The origin stories of the new superhero's? Definitely more boring. I thought they were going to do something more with Martian Manhunter posing as a detective in Gotham City, but he only really gets a couple of interactions with Batman. Don't even get me started on Green Lantern. He only gets his ring like 70% of the way into his arc, then proceeds to only use it to power some experimental ship he flies for the rest of it. He doesn't make any cool constructs or even really use his ring to fly and make a suit until the story is 98% over.
Like it kind of reads like it might be a classic Justice League origin story, but it's really not, and that's what it boils down to. This was released in the mid 2000's. It's not really actually transitioning anything. It's just harkening back to an era I never read, I never had interest in, and performing a transition that was already a bit sloppily and messily fixed for plenty of years. I specifically say an era I don't have interest in, because I'm sure for some people this is great, but for me this all just seems unnecessary. Don't get me wrong, the art style is novel, but at the same time it just doesn't do much for me story-wise.
Final Score: 40/100
Do I plan on writing reviews for every single comic I do? I don't know, maybe? Like I've been on a big comic book binging read as of late so it'd kind of be a lot to write reviews for, hence why I've gotten back much more comfortably into the five paragraph structure I did for a while. Maybe I just do one paragraph reviews for some of the shorter ones. Like I just read Civil War II from Marvel and frankly that one just kind of sucks. Like do I really want to write a whole review for that? So maybe this'll be a one-off, we'll see.

Comments
Post a Comment