"The Devil Wears Prada" More Flash than Substance

 


    I have come back to officially write a review for The Devil Wears Prada, fully intent on watching the sequel later this week with my sister. semi-intrigued to see what it has to offer. It's not that I think the original is a bad film or anything, rather I just found it a fine film, one that's a little more flash than substance, and a film I didn't particularly thought needed a sequel. The Devil Wears Prada is fairly simple, it's clearly meant to be at least in some part a love letter to fashion, while on the other hand a pretty clear cautionary tale about the dangers about how this industry will eventually chew you up and continue to destroy you like a parasite or leech until you leave it. And it works, but with a watch a second time around, I just don't really understand how it's became so revered. Let's talk about it.

    The Devil Wears Prada revolves around Andy, a fresh journalism grad who just so happens to land a gig at the very prestigious Runway magazine. The one issue? She cares absolutely nothing about fashion and is woefully out of place culturally. I'll stop the synopsis right there because part of the film's whole thesis is about how this constant chase and desire for career success will ultimately lead to every other aspect of your life rotting away if you put your career above everything else, which is what Andy does. The only issue? Well as the movie states she never actually does any writing at her new job. In fact pretty much the only reason she does take the job is because it'll "open doors" and give her "connections" to any journalism job she could ever dream of. Except, pretty much no one else in her office basically cares that much about journalism anyways? And she kind of also sleeps with the one connection she did make,

    Not trying to slut-shame by the way just don't know if sleeping with other people is the way to make connections. Also on a side note that Christian Thompson dude was so creepy she could have done so much better. Like really? As a veteran you're going to be preying on young people looking for an in like a vulture? Come on dude, do better. I'm not saying I need the plot of every film I watch to be rock solid, but it's harder to take the serious themes/messages this film is trying to convey when much of the "change" simply happens through montages. Like Andy basically just starts using Runway's clothes and magically becomes some super chic and fashionable person. She somehow magically just becomes better at her job as she becomes more and more whipped.

    I don't know I just wanted more I suppose? I mean the idea of personal life vs career is a pretty universal one and I can imagine it wasn't particularly difficult to express that to viewers, but then you'll have scenes like the one where Priestly's breaking down in front of Andy, and the film is very clearly trying to humanize her, at least just a little bit. Except by then I've pretty much already made up my mind about her. I mean the title of the movie literally calls her the devil, and up until this point she's done nothing to change, it's all been Andy so yes I do think she's kind of the devil. Of course, the film quickly rips away any shred of sympathy by having her immediately close up, and reveal her master plan to keep Nigel in line while also keeping her job at Runway, like the devil she is.

    I say all of this because the film tries many of these serious, emotional moments that are meant to make viewers think, but the setup just isn't quite there yet, and so these moments are degraded by executing a recipe that doesn't have the right ingredients if that makes sense. That doesn't mean I didn't like the film, rather I think it's being held back from really feeling like one of those movies where someone can watch it, and leave thinking, "Wow, I really felt seen." I mean I'm not a big fashion person but it was nice seeing all of those outfits they made Anne wear. The movie is nice and snappy, it doesn't really ever feel like it drags on much, and I do have a soft spot for Stanley Tucci, but it can only do so much.

Final Score: 70/100

    I mean I'm also just not the target audience for this sort of film so that probably doesn't help. Like do you really think I care that much about fashion? I know Streep does that whole spiel about how fashion is actually more important than you'd think, and so does Tucci's character, but my entire wardrobe is dictated entirely by which band shirt I wore most recently. So I'm probably not the best audience to talk fashion with, though I guess I do use fashion as a form of individual expression. Considering how lukewarm I am on this film my hopes are not exactly high. Like did this film really need a sequel? I'm going to err on the side of no. Also this may be controversial but I was also never really that big of a Meryl Streep guy. What can I say?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

"McKinley Dixon - Magic, Alive!" A Sonic Masterpiece

"Creature Commando's" Surprisingly Good for Seven Episodes

"Whiplash" I Did Not Understand This Film as a Child